As we compassionately respond to news about COVID-19, the new coronavirus, our Session voted today to cancel our worship service this Sunday, March 15th. We are making this decision in consideration of recommendations regarding public gatherings from South Orange and Maplewood Offices of Public Health as well as our leaders at Newark Presbytery. Our hope is to be able to return to worshipping together as soon as possible, but in the meantime, we believe we should cancel services until more information is available.
Even though we will not be together this week as a worshipping community, our Session made the following recommendations for our spiritual growth while apart:
· Pastor Valencia and Elder Richard Jones will be available this Sunday at church to meet with anyone who may not have received information regarding cancelation.
· Our Deacon Board will be in communication with members in their group to share information and keep our Session informed about individual needs.
· Our Session will meet on Thursday, March 19th to determine our plans for worshipping on Sunday, March 22nd.
This situation changes day by day. Below are suggestions for you to follow this week:
· Be mindful of your neighbors and family members who are at higher risk for exposure. Social distancing is strongly encouraged for their safety.
· Make phone calls to those who are isolated to offer personal connection.
· Pray with, and for others affected by closures and reduced access to essential services.
We may not know what tomorrow will bring, but we know that the promises of God have not changed. We know that our mission at FP&T to serve our community and world will not change. We will be in communication with you soon. Until then…
Peace be with your spirit,